1. In general, do you think the nation's economy is headed in the right direction or is it off on the wrong track?
|Net right direction||-267||-36%|
|Right : wrong||1:2.3|
2. In terms of your own personal situation, are you better off, worse off, or about the same financially as you were one year ago?
|About the same||396||53|
3. Looking ahead, do you expect your personal financial situation to be better, worse or about the same one year from now?
|About the same||379||51|
4. Have you personally had to sell your home, or do you know anyone who has had to sell their home or had their home mortgage foreclosed as a direct result of the current problems in the home mortgage market?
|Yes : no||1:6.6|
5. Do you believe the federal government should intervene to financially help individuals who may lose their homes because they over-extended themselves financially, or do you think that is a risk they took and they should not be helped by government?
|Government should help||217||29|
|Government should not help||450||60|
|Net should help||-233||-31%|
|Should help : should not help||1:2.1|
6. A number of home mortgage firms either have gone bankrupt or may go bankrupt as a result of rising interest rates and the slowdown in the residential housing market. Do you think the federal government should financially assist such companies, or do you think that is a risk they took and they should not be helped by government?
|Government should help||147||20|
|Government should not help||541||72|
|Net should help||-395||-53%|
|Should help : should not help||1:3.7|
7. Do you own your own home?
|Yes : no||5.7:1|
8. About what percentage of your take home pay goes toward your mortgage payment?
|More than 50%||19||4|
9. Do you have an organized plan for your personal finances?
|Yes : no||3.3:1|
10. How important would you say it is to have an organized plan for your financial future:
11. Are you now or have you ever participated in private savings programs to finance higher education costs for yourself or a member of your family?
|Yes : no||1:2.0|
12. What type of savings program have you utilized?
|Pa tuition acct program||32||13|
|529 savings plan||51||21|
|Bank/credit union acct||52||21|
|State savings plan||1||0|
|Regular savings acct||6||3|
13. Do you personally plan to retire on or near age 65 or do you anticipate working significantly past that age?
|Yes/retire on/near 65||222||30|
14. How confident are you that you have set enough resources aside for retirement income:
|Not very confident||102||14|
|Not confident at all||84||11|
|Confident : not confident||1.5:1|
15. How much will you depend on the government for such items as retirement income, health care and other social services once you retire:
|Not dependent at all||171||23|
16. Aside from social security, are you presently saving for retirement via an employer-sponsored pension program, 401k, IRA, or other investment instrument?
17. Why types of savings instrument are you utilizing?
|All of above||4||1|
18. Looking ahead to retirement, what portion of your retirement income do you expect to come from social security, and what portion do you plan to finance from private investments:
|100% Ssocial Security||68||9|
|75% ss/25% private||81||11|
|50% SS/50% private||176||24|
|25% SS/75% private||189||26|
19. What portion of your annual income do you currently invest or save for the future:
20. Are you or is anyone in your household presently insured for "end-of-life" expenses, such as extended nursing home care:
|Yes : no||1:4.0|
21. Should the government participate in paying for "end-of-life" expenses such as extended nursing home care?
|Yes : no||1.6:1|
22. How important is it for you to pre-plan final documents, such as a will, living will, and/or power of attorney:
|Important : unimportant||36.2:1|
23. Do you favor or oppose enactment of what's commonly referred to as the right to work law, whereby a worker cannot be compelled to join or pay fees to a labor union as a condition of employment?
|Favor : oppose||1.9:1|
24. Do you agree or disagree that employees who choose not to join a union should still be required to pay an administration fee to a labor union if their workplace is represented by a union?
|Agree : disagree||1:1.3|
25. Age group
27. Political philosophy
|Less than high school||35||5|
|High school graduate||273||37|
|2 yr degree/technical||151||20|
|4 year degree||156||21|
29. Religious affiliation